Landlord fined for fire at rented property

Landlord fined for fire at rented property

THE HOUSE in Letchworth caught fire last November, with the landlord pleading guilty to failing to comply with fire safety regulations.

The Comet reported on the prosecution of Lawrence Connors, who owned the property and rented it out to several tenants. On 6 November 2017 the fire ‘caused major damage’ though no tenants were injured, and North Hertfordshire District Council brought the case against Mr Connors after its environmental health team, working alongside Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, investigated the fire and found that no fire safety measures had been put in place.

Following this, an emergency prohibition order was served ‘to stop the building from being reoccupied’, with Mr Connors admitting that he had failed to comply with fire safety regulations in court. Magistrates fined him £3,500 and ordered him to pay £1,704, plus a £120 surcharge, for a total bill of £5,027.

Bernard Lovewell, councillor for housing and environmental health, said: ‘It is vital that landlords make sure that all fire safety measures are put in place when renting out a property. It is extremely fortunate that no-one was hurt as a result of the fire at the property. Neglecting to do this not only puts tenants at serious risk but also breaks the law, and I hope this prosecution sends out a message to all landlords that they must take their responsibilities seriously.’