Landlord urges smoke alarm testing after fire

Landlord urges smoke alarm testing after fire

PHILLIP WOOD, a landlord in Plymouth, saw a restaurant in his building badly damaged, and has urged people to test smoke alarms.

Plymouth Herald reported on the fire at Mr Wood’s building on Embankment Road, which broke out in the Aladdin Indian Takeaway on the ground floor. While the rest of the building ‘escaped serious harm’, the restaurant was ‘badly damaged by smoke and fire and it is not known when it will reopen’, though fortunately nobody was hurt in the fire.

He noted that he had been in the fire service in Plymouth for 10 years and adding that he was ‘familiar with the procedure’, with three tenants in the property at the time evacuated. Mr Wood added: ‘I made sure everyone was out, called the fire brigade, it’s bizarre really because I was a firefighter for 10 years in Plymouth and most of the people who turned up, I knew.

‘I knew what to do, but unless you have the facilities to put the fire out, you need the fire brigade. I think it’s a massively unrecognised service. The fact that the government is cutting it back as much as it is, I think it’s absolutely disgusting. Even as an ex-fire fighter you’re helpless because you don’t have the means to put the fire out and contain it, they do a fantastic job. Hats off to the fire brigade.’

As a result, he urged people to ‘test their smoke alarms’, adding: ‘You have to get the fire alarm system checked every year, if it wasn't for that it could have been a lot worse. I’ve got other properties in Plymouth where tenants take the batteries out of smoke alarms because they want to use them for the TV remote control.

‘They’re putting their life at risk because they're taking out a battery that could possibly save a life. I just can’t understand for the sake of me why people do it, but they do. Smoke detectors are so, so important, people don’t realise just how important they are, if it wasn't for the fire alarm system who knows how far that fire could have gone.’

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue stated: ‘On arrival the officer in charge confirmed that there was a fire at this location. The crews got to work to extinguish the fire with the use of two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation.’