Zero accidental house fire deaths recorded in Cheshire

Zero accidental house fire deaths recorded in Cheshire

CHESHIRE FIRE and Rescue Service (CFRS) reported that ‘for the first time in its history’ it recorded no accidental house fire deaths between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019.

In a press release, CFRS noted that this was during its annual reporting period, and that the ‘outstanding result’ was ‘attributed’ to the ‘commitment of all the service’s staff in working to keep the county’s communities safe’, as well as to the ‘residents of Cheshire themselves’. CFRS stated that most house fires are preventable, and this is why it will ‘continue its commitment to high quality prevention and protection as well as emergency response’.

The ‘success’ has also realised the fire and rescue service’s ‘long held belief that it is much better to save lives by equipping people with the knowledge and skills they need to stop a fire from occurring in the first place’ than to ‘wait until disaster strikes and tackle a potential life threatening blaze’. In 2017/2018 the service recorded two deaths in accidental house fires, down from six in 2016/2017, while in 2015/2016 it also recorded two deaths, and in 2014/2015 it recorded three.

Mark Cashin, chief fire officer for CFRS, commented: ‘This service works really hard to keep people safe. Since we first commenced home fire safety visits nearly twenty years ago we have visited hundreds of thousands of householders to provide home fire safety advice, currently our Firefighters and Prevention staff complete over forty thousand visits per year.

‘This success is also, however, about the effectiveness of our emergency response and credit must also go to our Firefighters who, over the 12 month period, have effected numerous rescues from house fires across Cheshire, Halton and Warrington. The whole service has played its part in this success.

‘While we are delighted with this result it is essential we are not complacent and I hope that members of the public continue to think safety first and apply their knowledge to keeping themselves and their families safe from fire.’